Beets in Lemon and Butter
4-6 baby beets, peeled and sliced thinly (1/8″-1/4″)
1-2 teaspoons butter
1-2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Cut off the tops and roots of the beets. (Save the beet tops for salad or braising)
Peel the beets, slice them thinly and put them in a small pot or shallow saucepan. Add 1/2 cup cold water. Cover with a lid and bring to a boil. Turn heat down and let simmer until beats are tender and most of the water is absorbed/evaporated (about 10 minutes).
With heat still on low, add 1-2 teaspoons of butter, 1-2 teaspoons of lemon juice, sea salt and ground pepper. Cook for 1-2 minutes longer until mixture is slightly thickened. Remove from heat and serve hot.
Cold Beet, Feta and Basil Salad
4-5 medium size beets, peeled and diced into 1/2 inch cubes
3/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
1/2 cup sweet onion, chopped
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
3-4 tablespoons good olive oil
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Boil beets in a small amount of water until tender and most of the water has been absorbed/evaporated. Remove from heat and set aside till cool.
In a medium size bowl, add beets, onion, basil, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Sprinkle feta on top (do this last so it doesn’t turn pink from the beet juice). Served immediately, or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Roasted Beets with Oregano
5-10 beets, tops and roots removed, peeled and cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks
1-2 Tbsp olive oil
Fresh oregano (leaves from 1 sprig)
2-3 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed (optional)
Salt and pepper
Place beets on a sheet pan. Toss with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic and oregano. Roast 30-40 min, until beets are easily pierced with a fork.
1 cup grated Yukon Gold potato
1 cup peeled, grated beet
1/2 cup peeled, grated carrot
3 green onions, thinly sliced
2 tbsp liquid honey
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 green chili, minced
3/4 cup chickpea flour (or whole wheat flour)
1 egg, lightly beaten
vegetable oil, for frying
Preheat oven to 400 F. Using a paper towel, squeeze excess water out of potato, beet and carrot until dry. Combine veggies with onions, honey, salt, pepper and chili in a large bowl; toss until incorporated. Add flour and egg, and mix until ingredients can be formed into four patties, roughly 1/2 cup each. Add a tsp of water if needed. In a large high-sided sauté pan with a lid, heat 1/4-in. oil over medium heat. Cover and cook pancakes until slightly crisp on bottom; flip and cook other side until crisp (roughly 4-5 minutes per side). Covering will keep steam in and help to cook those firm root vegetables through. Remove from heat and transfer pancakes to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake in oven for about 8 minutes, until pancakes are cooked through and vegetables are soft. Top pancakes with a dollop of yogourt, sour cream or crème fraîche, if you like.
Celery Root and Beet Salad
6 medium beets (2 1/4 lb with greens), trimmed, leaving 1 inch of stems attached
1 (1-lb) celery root (sometimes called celeriac)
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, plus additional to taste
2 tablespoons minced shallot (or walla walla onion)
1/4 cup olive oil
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (2 oz), toasted and cooled
1. Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Place beets on a sheet pan, drizzle with olive oil, add salt and pepper. Cook until tender.
3. While beets roast, peel celery root with a sharp knife and cut into 1/8-inch-thick match sticks.
4. Whisk together lemon juice, shallot, oil, salt, and pepper to taste in a large bowl until combined well, then add celery root and toss until coated. Keep at room temperature, covered, until ready to add beets.
5. When beets are just cool enough to handle, slip off skins and remove stems. Cut beets into 1/8-inch-thick matchsticks and toss with celery root.
6. Let salad stand, covered, at room temperature 1 hour. Taste salad and season with more lemon juice and salt if necessary, then toss with walnuts.
Best Beets Ever
3 large boiled beets (about 1 pound)
1 medium onion
2 tbsp golden syrup
1 big orange
1 tbsp soy sauce
thumb-size piece of ginger
2 tbsp oil
1. Squeeze a big orange. This should make for 1/2 a cup (scant) orange juice.
2. Peel a medium onion and slice it in half-rings.
3. Peel and grate a thumb-size piece of fresh ginger.
4. Peel the skin off the beets (works best under running water imo), and slice them in
half-rings, just like the onions.
5. Pour 2 tbsp maple syrup in a bowl.
6. Add the orange juice and pour 1 tbsp soy sauce to the bowl. Stir until the syrup has
dissolved. This could take a minute or so.
7. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a stir-fry pan (wok) and sautee the onions for 5 minutes, until
soft but not brown. Add the ginger and cook for an additional minute.
8. Add the beet slices and stir fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
9. Pour the orange/syrup mix in with the beets and onions. Season with a good pinch of
black pepper and salt. Strip 2 or 3 thyme sprigs and add the leaves. Simmer the beets
for 5 minutes over low heat. Serve and enjoy!